Pages

Friday, November 7, 2014

Day 138: Zacatecas to Aguascalientes

November 7, 2014
74 miles

Yesterday I became separated from the Philtrons and so I took the most prudent course of action and stayed in a hotel in Zacatecas instead of cycling past the city towards Aguascalientes. So today's main goal was making up the lost distance and reunite with the Philtrons in Aguascalientes. 

I woke up bright an early to rain, and 50 something degrees, which is a perfect combination for cold, uncomfortable riding. Add to that is the cobblestone streets and Mexican traffic and you have very dangerous riding. The fog was pretty though.


I tried to make my way to an alternative highway after deeming the route to the toll road too dangerous, but I got lost and overshot the alternative highway and found myself very close to the toll road. Because the toll road was only 3km away, I decided to battle semi trailers and rain and fog for that distance to get to the toll road and its nice wide shoulders and lower traffic levels rather than. I almost got knocked off the road twice before I decided to bike along the parallel dirt path. 

On the toll road things were slightly better. For some reason the cars and buses weren't giving me my space! And then I hit a construction zone and rush hour at the same time which forced me to salmon. Regardless I made it to a McDonalds in Aguascalientes to use their wifi and figure out where Daisy and Jason were. 70 miles at an average of 12 mph is not bad for a tour. I am a little tired, but it is a good tired.

Salmoning!

Turns out Daisy and Jason hopped a barrier and went into a store when I went past the construction. When I went back to look for them they were out of sight and so missed them. If I had been with them I would have been able to sleep in the cheapest hotel so far: 100 pesos. 

New State!
All is well and we are happily staying with a warmshowers host who is a Peace Corps member. He is very friendly and he even made us some food!




No comments:

Post a Comment