Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Day 15 To Whitehorse

July 6, 2016
50ish miles


Good morning from outside of Whitehorse!

Once again our big city plans were foiled by people who are remembering the Sabbath and keeping it holy. Today is a Sunday, the bike shop is closed, so I will have to make do with my ill-fitting chain for another..... who knows how many miles?






But I did get a new rainjacket! So now I am ecxited for some rain. I can't believe we made it all the way from Tok to Whitehorse without getting rained on while riding. 



People:
Grocery Store Cuties:
It's been too long since I've talked to an attractive woman.... some of you may know how ugly that can be. 

At a grocery store, two women came up to me and asked if they could "geek out over" our touring bikes. They started talking about how they were thinking about doing a tour, and I don't really remember much else other than not being able to form a coherent response to what they were saying other than "Yeah, it's fun."

I was happy when they went away.

Warm Showers Host:
We made plans to stay with a guy from Warm Showers. It was our first time using the website to find a host, and I am glad we did. Our host was a very interesting dude. He's been touring in the Yucatan, the Phillipines, Morocco, and does all sorts of cross country skiing tours. We stayed in his canvas tent bunkhouse and guesthouse/sauna that overlook the lake.He homesteaded the place in the 60's and designed the buildings himself and built them with some help. It was really cool.


And he had a dog.

Double duty bunk house/sauna

The canvas walled bunkhouse:

Got to wake up to this the next morning:

I was also relieved to see a man over 60 still going out and doing adventures because now I know I don't have to do everything before I'm 30. You just have to know what you want and then go and make it happen. 





2 comments:

  1. Why didnt you just make a rain jacket out of plastic and tape? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't you say more to the grocery store cuties ;) The warm showers host sounds really cool, you in 40 years?

    ReplyDelete