Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 105: Tecate to Guadalupe, Baja California, MEXICO!

October 5, 2014
Tecate to Guadalupe, BC, MEXICO!

WE MADE IT!


It feels like a whole new journey. There were times in the last month I was ready to call it quits at the border. I already had a great time in Canada and in the Sierra Cascades, and would have been okay with going back to Minnesota to begin a new, more traditional and socially accepted/expected, adventure.

But I thought about how I had been dreaming of going to Central America for over a year now, and realized that I owed it to myself to take full advantage of the opportunity I have now. And those thoughts stayed with me as I crossed the border and began this exciting part of my odyssey.

I am reinvigorated and happy to be in Mexico!


The roads are well paved, with a wide shoulder. The incline up the hills is perfect for biking.


I seem to make 1000 mile marks upon arrival to a new country. 1000 into British Colombia, 2000 for USA, and now 5000 for Mexico.


130 pesos for each taco (that's about $1.25). I had 4. And a torta. They were deliciosos.


We met some other cyclists! Funny that I met nobody on the Cacsades route, and on my first day in Mexico I meet new people. Antonie is on left, Jason on right. Jason's wife, Daisy is not pictured. All of us toured through Canada, and so we talked about the people we met. We both met Ryan, as well as Cho, a Japanese man who pulled a cart across the Al-Can highway. Here's a link to Jason and Daisy's blog.

My first impression of Mexico is that it is like Alaska, but with friendlier people, inexpensive food, and hot, dry weather.

2 comments:

  1. And you even found some internets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a small world, amazing you met some of the same people in Canada!

    ReplyDelete