Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 106 to 108 Guadalupe to San Quentin

October 6 to October 8
Guadalupe to San Quentin

I´m typing from an internet cafe and the keyboard is set to Spanish but the keys on it are regular English. It took me 15 minutes just to sign in because my password uses characters that are in a different place on the Spanish keyboard, but the keyboard doesn´t show where. Frustrating.

We made it to San Quentin!

The last two campgrounds we stayed in have had swimming pools, which were very refreshing. The first one also had a zoo. It is not peak season, but it looks like that campground is a hoppin place during peak season. It had a soccer-fustal court and tons of picnic tables.




Awkward moments abound! We have also been talking with locals and my spanish is slowly improving.

One guy wanted to take a picture with the four of us, me, Antonie, Jason, and Daisy. When they left it got weird because one of the women wanted to get a picture with just me. I faked understanding less than I actually did about their request and what they were saying about me until Antonie came back. That was the only awkward moment up until then.

And then I had another awkward moment in a store looking for peanutbutter, or ¨something to put on bread.¨ As a tried to explain to the store owner. He grunted and pointed to the fridge. There was no peanut butter or jelly or anything spreadable in there, so I said ¨No, gracas.¨Then I decided to get some fruit, so I picked san apple off the table. He grunted againa and pointed at the mysterious fridge. We walked over there, opened it, pointed to the assorted fruit in the fridge and then took the warm apple from my hand and made me switch it with the cold apple.

I didn´t understand, and I never expected to have such an encounter. I gave the man 5 pesos and left.

And then earlier this morning I went into a store to find some salt. I tried asking the woman if she sold salt in smaller quantities, and was surprised to see her sitting behind the counter breast feeding her baby. She didn´t understand what I was asking. I was too shocked-amazed-happy to see a bussiness that would let you bring your baby to work and then nurse it in front of customers to respond very well. In the end we did find a smaller quantity of salt.

Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment