Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 104: San Diego to Tecate

October 4, 2014
40 miles
San Deigo to Portrero via bike and Larry

I'm back in the saddle after 2 weeks of rest and relaxation in San Diego and Las Vegas.

No photos, just a pretty good story. Please continue.

It wouldn't be a day back on the bike without being picked up in a convertible by a 7th Day Adventist named Larry. I didn't feel like riding since I already rode between Tecate and San Diego. I just wanted to meet Antonie and go to Mexico, so I hopped in his car. After about 5 minutes he pulled out his missionary card.

Truly and honestly, I liked Larry and respect the work he does. Those of you who know me know that I sometimes disagree with how missionaries go about their work. But I liked how Larry went about his work. He was kind, helpful, and interesting to talk to since he had done some bike touring before, and also had been to Mexico many times before to do his missionary work.

He took me to Portrero park where Antonie was waiting. Larry helped unload my bike, thanked him, and expected him to drive off. Instead, he pulled out some food and sat down with us to chat. After a minute of shooting the breeze with Larry and Antonie (who, remember, I have only exchanged a couple emails with up to this point) that I realized what was about to happen: Larry needed to tell Antonie about the gospel of Jesus Christ in order to save his soul from ever lasting torment in the lake of fire.

And so that is how Antonie and I met.

I feared fighting and yelling when I realized that Antonie might not be up to par religiously. Fortunately both Antonie and Larry are very respectful people. Larry simply informed Antonie of his options regarding his soul and left it to me to continue the conversation on our bike journey. I agreed to do so, and after an hour or so of conversation, Larry left the remaining pears and chips for us to eat, and drove away.

Afterwards, I unrolled my pad and sleeping bag on top of the picnic table and went to sleep.


This giant tumbleweed blocked the shoulder of the road! I've grown fond of seeing tumble weeds in southern California. They make me smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment