Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day 114-115: Viscaino to San Ignacio

October 14: 45ish miles

Check out the sunburn! Never had that one before. 


The last two days of riding have been wonderful. The scenery, which has always been beautifully green desert, only gets better as we see more mountains and finally, in Santa Rosalia, the Sea of Cortez. And added to that I have the new company of Mano, Tanya, Spencer, and Kate.

Mano (spelling may be wrong) from Holland

Daisy and Jason Philtron

Kate and Spencer

The Philtrons again

Military Man marking the military checkpoints
Day 114 concluded with a reunion of the Philtrons, the Canucks, and Antonie and me in San Ignacio. San Ignacio is a charming little down that has been a victim to the recent hurricanes. We talked with a man as equally charming as the 18th century cathedral across from the central plaza, who told us about the how the hurricane flooded the town and destroyed all the camping areas, in addition to other buildings. We hadn't found Antonie who had rode ahead of us, and when I asked if he had seen him and jokingly added that he had abandoned me for the third time (he hadn't actually ever abandoned me, although one night I thought I lost him but the truth was I didn't see his bike and went 3 miles past the campground he was at) the charming Mexican man said that no friend would abandon me 3 times, and if they saw him they would lynch him. 

He had great recommendations, and so we went to his first which was the town's main plaza which is across the street from a beautiful old church from the (I think he said early) 1700s.


I love seeing so many bikes in one place!


Hurricane damage:


We paid a low price to camp in front of the hotel. It turned out to be a bustling place, not to mention the busy farm animals. We even saw a cow and horse brought across the field.

That turkey really wanted some from the females, but they weren't giving it.



As much as these buggers annoy me when they wake me up in the morning, I have fond memories of being awoken by roosters, so I still smile a little bit.


Tents

Blatent trademar infringement:



No comments:

Post a Comment