Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Day 46: Battle Ground to Latourell Falls

August 6, 2014
46 miles

After an egg breakfast (so happy to have a break from oats!) I figured out my route and headed off towards Portland and the Colombia River Gorge.

Goodbye Washington, hello Oregon! Oregon is so bike friendly we even get our own welcome sign.


I had my first hard fall, by which I mean fall while moving forward and not being stationary and falling over because I couldn't unclip my shoe in time. And the irony of it is that I did it on a Portland bike path all by myself. So even the best cycling infrastructure in the country can't save you from yourself. Maybe I should invest in blinders, like a horse has, so I'm not distracted by bikini-wearing sunbathers anymore.

Interesting little village on the Colombia River.



Go to this place. It is truly beautiful.



It looks like that child is about to fall 100's of feet down, but he's not. I just thought the boy and dad were cute. And the view is nice.


Great roads to ride on, not much shoulder though.



The little circle things are relics from when cars were first invented. Rich people could come up and picnic up here.





You can't go more than 2 miles without a breathtaking overlook or a waterfall stopping you. I made it to Latourell Falls before it got too dark to safely continue. I hid out until after the park closed, and then set up camp behind some trees on the walkway.











1 comment:

  1. Did the bikini women come over to help you back up?? I suppose you would've mentioned that...

    ReplyDelete