Pages

Monday, August 25, 2014

Day 65: Markleeville to Lee Vining

Day 65 Markleeville to Lee Vindu
92 miles

Goodmorning from Markleeville!

Made it to Yosemite's doorstep.

The plan was not to go 92 miles,  but it just turned out that way. All you have to do is force yourself to make it up the hill, and then you can go down the other side. So I kept making myself make it up the next pass until I could go no further.

Monitor pass was my favorite. I took many breaks to enjoy the scenery and keep cool in the heat. The ride down was amazingly smooth and fast.








Poetry on a signpost:



Pass number 2 on the day:


At Bridgeport I ate 5 servings of Mrs. Freshley's doughnuts, and went onward. As I looked behind me, I could see a storm coming my way. There were very few camping spots along the road. The doughnuts and the storm gave me the energy I needed to make it up the third pass even though it was getting dark.

The sun went completely down, the stars came up, and i still had 15 miles of biking to do. It was safer to bike at night because there were far fewer cars out. I wasn't getting passed every minute and I was extra careful to let them by when they did.

I finally made it to my goal USFS campground, about 10 miles outside of Yosemite. I started talking with a guy, Mike, who had just parked his car for the night. He was nice enough to let me stay in his campsite for the night. He was fun to talk to and I enjoyed the campfire he made, which was the first campfire since my buddy Shawn made one up in the Yukon. Thanks Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment