Pages

Friday, August 8, 2014

Day 48 Hood River to Calakmas River

August 8, 2014
Day 48
74.43 miles
7:27:14 ride time

Good morning from 10 miles south of Hood River, Oregon!


I had the perfect camping spot: out of view of highway, and even behind trees so even if someone got out of their car and looked down they couldn't see me. But I could see them! Perhaps I had too perfect a spot, because two different truckers stopped, got out, and then I assume they used the bathroom down near where I was trying to sleep. I didn't bother to investigate further.

It was a long 20 miles of constant climbing. My speed was always between 6 and 8 mph (usually I average 18-12). And the sun was beating down and it was hot. So that necessitates water breaks and head dunkings in cool springs.



I only caught brief glimpses of Mt. Hood while I climbed.

But I made it to the summit of the pass!


And less than a mile after the pass the road curved around the south side of the mountain and BAM! Mt. Hood was right there, like it wanted to congratulate me for persevering up the hill. I was enjoying the downhill cruise, so I didn't stop to photograph.

Further down the road there was this stop.


I went through 3 other passes. They weren't as tough as the first one. I wonder how they decide what is a pass?





The rest of the day was exclusively through national forest land. Even when I take a wrong turn, I can't complain because I get to see more beautiful trees.




And now I must pay tribute to Bob Ross.



I have yet to see a salmon run. Do the dead carcasses count? And is this water safe to drink?



No comments:

Post a Comment