Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Day 60: McCloud River to Old Station

August 20, 2014

62 miles
McCloud River to Old Station

Woken up by elk calling out to each other. One must have been 100 yards or closer to my tent! Did not see it though, and did not hear any more of it after I got up and started packing up. Also heard some owls calling! It was the classing Who! Who who!



Sun rising close to 6:30, which is problematic because it means the days are getting much shorter, and I have less time to get miles in, less time to rest, less time to find a good camping spot. As I type this it is 9:00 and there is no sign of the sun. I had my tail light on at 6:30, and by 7:30 I needed to be off the road. Such a change from the first 2 weeks of the trip when we could bike all night if we wanted!


Cm carrying en 3xtra 64 ounces of water. I like the peace of mind knowing that I can travel farther without needing to stop for water, or have to ration it wheile riding. It is so hot I go through I lot of water.



The riding ahs been through all different kids of landscapes. There has been more shrubland mixed in with the trees. I'm going through a very recent burn area. Some of the roads are still closed, and I see firefighters rushing by frequently. I stopped to swim in Hat Creek, which was closed but I'm a rule breaker so I went in.




Am camped a mile or two past Old Station along the confluence of two creeks. I think I may be in an Elk bedding grounds. Hopefully they don't come back in the middle of the night to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment