Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

Day 58: Yreka to Mt. Shasta via Weed

August 18, 2014

An identity crisis at the Sacramento River Headwaters was the highlight of today, but we will get to that.

First I made it to Weed, Oregon, to take my picture in front of the classic sign we all know and love:


But unfortunately it got stolen so often they changed it to this:



It's just not the same. I was disappointed. But if you ever go there, you can go to the gift shop where they have all sorts of clever posters and signs with the city name.

This sign was funny. though



Then I made it to Mt. Shasta where I had a severe identity crisis, for the hippies of Mt. Shasta are on a whole new level that I never new existed. I am no longer sure I can call myself even a little bit of a hippie after seeing them.

On what I assume was an average Monday afternoon, I heard more pan flute, impromptu conga solos, and recorder playing than I have in my life. And I couldn't even count the number of men in skirts and vests, and  braless women in what I think are homesewn dresses and dashikis.

They were filling up water jugs from the headwaters because it's known for being great water. Or, as one hippie said "I don't know why, but I'm naturally drawn to this water." I also heard the words pure, natural, and "Evolving into a higher states of consciousness," very often.

I was intrigued, and so I sat and people watched for a long time in the park while I contemplated about why it is that I think I like hippies, but am so put off by what I was seeing at Mt. Shasta. I will likely be thinking about this for weeks to come while I'm on my bike. What I concluded when I left was that I like hippies because they are different from normal, but in Mt. Shasta they are the norm, and that made me feel funny.

When I biked down main street, there were a bunch of hippies outside the music store playing with the didgeridoos. It was bizzare.


The scene at the headwaters was hard to break away from. There was so much going on, and so many hippies that brought out my curiosity!


I decided to take a day to hike around the base of Mt. Shasta, so that necessitated a 14 mile bike ride uphill. On top of the 50 I had already done.

I only made it 9 miles set up camp, and decided I could do the last 5 miles without all my gear which will be helpful.

At the hight I was the sunset was very cool to watch, many fun colors that you can sort of see here.

1 comment: