Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Day 69: Yosemite to Bass Lake

August 29, 2014
Yosemite to Bass Lake

Good morning from Camp 4!

I had plans to hike to Nevada and Vernal Falls before heading out, but decided against it because I was afraid I would have difficulty getting out of the park and finding a place to camp if I didn't leave early enough. The hike would take several hours, and I have to climb a couple thousand feet on bike to get out of the valley, out of the park. So I will have more things to do when I come back to Yosemite!

Last night Brandon and I got new camping mates. We had hoped for some hot climber/yoga girls to show up but fortunately our wishes didn't come true because we got something better. The three guys that showed up were really nice, and one of them was Guatemalan. I was able to get his email and I will be able to meet up with his cousin when I get to Guatemala. He told me about some places to see, and also assuaged my concerns about safety. In the morning, when he was more sober, his views on the safety were also more sober. "Do lock your stuff up." he told me

Thanks Sergio!


I did take one more lap around the valley on my bike, a nice consolation prize. I bike beneath the famous rock climbing spot, El Capitan.



On the way out, I went through a long, dark tunnel.



And later I found this nice little tablet that someone apparently dropped out of a car window and left on the ground. It still works. Their loss. I turned it into the visitor's center and if no one claims it I might be able to keep it.


They had lots of these signs.



I left the park and made it to Bass Lake, which is actually a reservoir. I hate that they call reservoirs lakes as if they naturally exist. But I like that they provide water in the middle of a desert.


I wish I could have stayed in Yosemite Longer, but I didn't want to put up with Labor Day traffic. I'll just have to go back some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment