Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

Day 84: Palmdale to San Bernardino Forest (East of Los Angles)

September 14, 2014

4 hours 58 minutes 20 seconds
43 miles
4037 total

Good morning from the San Bernardino Forest!



Heat induced nausea really takes the fun out of riding. I will not miss it when the trip is over. Hopefully things will cool off soon.

I can't go more than 5 miles before I have to take a break because I'm too hot. And I know I still need to eat carbs, but my appetite is gone so eating becomes a chore, and then I probably eat too much because my body is all confused... I'm not enjoying biking. But the road signs are very encouraging, in the way that a no-nonsense football coach is encouraging:





But fortunately by taking a lot of breaks I have more time to talk with the locals! I got to talk with another teacher who was riding her bike. It is always encouraging to talk to teachers, they make me excited to get back to education once the trip is over.

The highlight of the day was stopping to climb up a ridge (not an actual trial, I bushwhacked it) and up a mound of loose rocks to get an amazing view of the sunset. I was able to watch it set behind the mountains, which looked like big black frozen waves.



It amazes me how quickly the sunset changes.



I did a little night riding, and finally get to some trees, but they were too little too late, I was already shot so I called it a day after only 43 miles. It's just as well, I will have almost 2 weeks to kill in San Diego before I meet up with my new riding partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment