Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Day 73: Sequoia National Park

September 2, 2014 Sequoia National Park to Three Rivers

Things did not go as planned today.

Construction delayed and lengthened my stop to see the world's largest tree, but it was a blessing in disguise because I got to hike through some quieter trails, and even got to see a juvenile bear cross the trail about 10 meters in front of me. No photo, sorry!

And in the end I did get to see General Sherman: the world's largest tree (by volume).


I'm a tree-hugger!





After hiking to see the tree, I still had time to hike some other trails, including Mono Rock and a meadow trail. However I started going downhill, missed my turn, and 20 minutes later was thousands of feet lower, and was not going to spend the time to go back up the hill.



The hill was so steep and so windy that my brakes became very hot. So hot that when I sprayed water on them, they steamed like eggs on a hot griddle. I took a video the second time, but I had been more cautious about not overheating them so it wasn't as dramatic.

At the lower elevation, the temperatures are miserable. I slogged forward and eventually stopped at a little restaurant, which was very serendipitous because I met Cynthia there.

Cynthia made me a delicious sandwich, pointed out some things that I should see in California on my map, and told me about some camping spots near the city.

I was waiting in a turnout for the park people to lock up the park I was going to be staying in when Cynthia drove by on her way home and checked up on me. We made plans to hike in Sequoia, so it appears I will be staying in Three Rivers longer than I planned!

1 comment:

  1. Man if you would've had the normal caliper brakes they would've been melted!

    ReplyDelete